Re: medieval-style papermill

I do ret flax, but only to make thread and cord. raw flax
is way too strong to use directly in a stampmill, and its
not easy to work up in a Hollander.

I collect old linen sheets, old fire hose, etc. for fiber.

Retting has not fallen out of favor; it is still the best
way to prepare the plant for processing.  It is time
consuming and a little bit tricky (determining when the
retting is done, but not overdone); then there is the
dusty business of breaking, swingling, scutching, hackling
and spinning.

>By any chance, will you be retting the paper like they
>used to do? I have always been curious as to why the
>practice of retting fell out of favor.

(snip)

>Regards,
>Suhag