Re: Weights

Kevin,

We use a variety of weights here.  I made a few "snakes" filled with rice,
covered with a denim-like cloth.  They are great for holding up box sides
while they dry, among other projects.  I purchased some weights that fit on
a bar bell, they are 5 lbs but they come in several weights.  I got them at
a used sports equipment store.  They were about a dollar each.

I also use small, medium and small clips to hold things in place while they
dry.  It's like having another hand, very handy at times.

Hope this helps.
Claudia

At 04:30 PM 03/29/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>What are some good home-made book weights? Can one
>make heavy-enough weights from everyday objects? I
>have a nice nipping press that I use for small books,
>but what do you all use for larger books, boxes, etc.?
>I'd like to make my own weights, without spending huge
>amounts of money.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kevin Thomas

                                     Claudia Stall
                           Head, Collection Preservation Unit
                                San Diego State University
                              Library and Information Services

              "Be kind, do good work, and touch the earth gently."