Re: Stab Binding - materials & technique

See JAPANESE BOOKBINDING by Kojiro Ikegami, p. 30, for complete
instructions on the inner binding of stab bound books. Simply put, two sets
of holes are drilled or punched through the text block about 1/8" inside
the final stitching line toward the spine. Then twisted strings of strong
Japanese paper (or cord) are threaded through the holes in the text, tied
once, and pounded flat. This step strengthens the book and keeps it
together if the outer stitching should come apart.

Betty