Re: help with Tamil palm leaf book

>The ink appears to have etched the palm leaf slightly.

I understood that the printing on these was scratched in with an etching
tool and then ink was rubbed into the writing and buffed off the surface,
just like inking an intaglio plate. I have also heard that that's why much
of the script from that area has no straight lines in the direction of the
grain of the leaves, as it would slit the palm leaf when it was scratched
into.

Best wishes,
Roberta
paper@oregontrail.net