Gluing old leather & tooling on book-cloth

------=_NextPart_000_00AF_01BFB817.335302A0

We have a little book - maybe 5 x 8 - whose cover was a very thin soft =
leather (not quite suede, but of a similar softness,) skived to maybe =
paper thin-ness, and that was lined with a similar leather inside. These =
two were "glued" together - we were able to separate the outer and inner =
skins without too much trouble.

The outer one we would like to preserve and replace on the outside of =
the new cover, but are mixed in our guess as to what adhesive to use.=20

Somewhere an allusion was made to Klucel-G dissolved in alcohol as an =
adhesive that would not blacken old leather, but my one experience with =
that seemed to indicate that its adhesive qualities were a bit weak. I =
seem to understand that PVA is not a good choice, so what can be used =
here to glue this titled old leather piece to the face of the new cover?
************=20

I would like to hear from ones who have some experience hand-tooling =
with foil on book-cloth, using pallets, gouges, brass dingbats, etc.=20

I occasionally bind a book whose cover or spine I would like to work =
with more than simply Kwikprint imprints.=20

***************

Please respond to either of these inquiries thru my personal e-mail: =
cescherm@usa.net=20

Thanks

------=_NextPart_000_00AF_01BFB817.335302A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Caslon No224 ITC T">
<P>We have a little book - maybe 5 x 8 - whose cover was a very thin =
soft=20
leather (not quite suede, but of a similar softness,) skived to maybe =
paper=20
thin-ness, and that was lined with a similar leather inside. These two =
were=20
"glued" together - we were able to separate the outer and inner skins =
without=20
too much trouble.</P>
<P>The outer one we would like to preserve and replace on the outside of =
the new=20
cover, but are mixed in our guess as to what adhesive to use. </P>
<P>Somewhere an allusion was made to Klucel-G dissolved in alcohol as an =

adhesive that would not blacken old leather, but my one experience with =
that=20
seemed to indicate that its adhesive qualities were a bit weak. I seem =
to=20
understand that PVA is not a good choice, so what can be used here to =
glue this=20
titled old leather piece to the face of the new cover?<BR>************ =
</P>
<P>I would like to hear from ones who have some experience hand-tooling =
with=20
foil on book-cloth, using pallets, gouges, brass dingbats, etc. </P>
<P>I occasionally bind a book whose cover or spine I would like to work =
with=20
more than simply Kwikprint imprints. </P>
<P>Please respond to either of these inquiries thru my personal e-mail:=20
</FONT><A href=3D"mailto:cescherm@usa.net"><FONT=20
face=3D"Caslon No224 ITC T">cescherm@usa.net</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3D"Caslon No224 ITC T"> </P>
<P>Thanks</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00AF_01BFB817.335302A0--