Re: frozen pva

The reason companies won't ship, is that if the liquid PVA freezes, the
polymers, that are the actual adhesive go out of suspension with the water.
It can be remixed, but is never as good as it was if unfrozen. It has
nothing to do with brittleness. While it is true that freezing can make PVA
more brittle, the same goes for any adhesive, whether paste, hideglue,
tape... Frozen, they are always more brittle. The same also goes for many
other substances.

p.

At 03:46 PM 5/7/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 5/7/00 2:30:04 PM, ballantrae@GLOBALSERVE.NET writes:
>
><< If I mail a book to someone in North America in winter, and it sits in the
>back of an unheated post office truck or delivery van for a few days and
>the temperature is minus a few degrees outside, will that exposure to cold
>mean that the pva will become brittle or lose its adhesiveness? >>
>
>Most (probably all) of the companies that sell PVA won't even ship it out in
>the winter, so I wouldn't take the risk sending out either.
>ljc

Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>