Re: Combustion temp of leather and vellum

>Question from my archeologist father-in-law. Does anyone know the
>temperature at which leather and vellum/parchment (the animal product)
>begin to burn.

The temperature you are looking for is called the shrinkage
temperature (sometimes called the glass transition temperature) and it
varies with the age and tannage of leather, or simply the age with
vellum/parchment; and then there is wet or dry temperature.

In Reed, _Ancient Skins, Parchments, and Leathers_ a variety
of temperatures are given, depending on age and conditions.  If
you don't have a copy handy, I can fax the relevant pages to you
or to your father-in-law.

There is no single temperature.  It depends.  Your father-in-law will
be familiar with that concept.

Cheers,

Jack

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon
USA  97217

(503)735-3942 (voice/fax)

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

"The lyf so short; the craft so long to lerne"
Chaucer, <The Parlement of Foules> 1386 A.D.