Re: Combustion temp of leather and vellum

Dear Peter,

This is an interesting question, but one which is almost impossible to
answer accurately since there are too many unknown factors that would need
to be considered.  The Flashpoint, rate of burn and combustion temperatures
of leather will all depend on the following:

Tannage - for example vegetable tanned, chrome tanned, brain tanned and alum
tawed leathers have different temperature tolerances from each other.

Oil Content - a leather containing a higher oil content is more likely to
combust than a leather with a lower oil content.

Finish - Some finishes are relatively inflammable and may ignite at quite
low temperature.  Of course, the finish may be inflammable but the leather
itself could be quite fire/heat resistant!!

Speciality leathers - For example one would not expect welder's gloves and
aprons to ignite at as low a temperature as some 'standard' leathers.

There are probably other factors to take into account, but I hope that this
explains just how difficult your father-in-law's question is.

kind regards,

David

David Lanning
J. Hewit & Sons Ltd.