Parchment and vellum

I have a question for the list.  I am doing a research paper on =
parchment and vellum.   It seems some sources say that vellum is a finer =
form of parchment.  Others say that parchment and vellum are totally =
different.

What is the opinion of people on the list?  Also could anyone please =
recommend books that may be helpful.  Especially books slanted towards =
or concerning early Irish manuscript books such as the Book of Kells and =
the Book of Durrow.

Thank you

Maria