Re: parchment and vellum

> Bookbinding and the Conservation of books: A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology, Matt T. =
> Roberts and Don Etherington
[says:] parchment is a material made =
> from the flesh split of a sheepskin, while vellum is made specifically =
> from an unsplit calfskin. In either case, both materials are produced by =
> the same process"

in other terms - find an unsplit calf, butcher it, process it as usual, et
voila! vellum! ;)

PS - I suppose you can always eat the occasional split calf or unsplit
lamb.

Paul Werner, New York City
http://pages.nyu.edu/~ptw1
     DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent titles: "Vellum Preparation:
History and Technique," and "Dragonsblood and Ashes: the Beta
Version."
     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
listings and resources.