Re: FW: How does rebinding affect value of books?

my understanding is that it depends on the
binding--although no matter what, the price is
lowered. if the binding is done with sensitivity, and
in line with either the original binding or bindings
of the period, then it doesn't lower it so much. a lot
of binders who rebind try to use the original
materials, or to incorporate elements from the
original binding.  however, if it is butchered (and
I've seen some really sad things, especially in
libraries), then it can make it very low.

something like what you describe as doing to your
Finnegan's Wake, though--probably raise the value of
the book!!

leil alexander
Malka,Jordan

--- David Scott Goen <dsgoen@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

> So, I became curious. Just how much of an effect
> does rebinding have on the
> value of books to collectors? Let's say I had a
> first edition of Finnegans
> Wake that I was rebinding. Let's also assume that I
> did a very good job. Did
> I destroy its value to a collector, diminish it, or
> what? What if it was a
> much older volume that was more reasonably in need
> of repair or rebinding?
>
> Just curious, as I have no intention of going around
> rebinding valuable
> books. Well, maybe the ones that are valuable to me.
>
> David Goen
> St. Louis

=====
leilx@yahoo.com  leil lucy alexander   Malka, Irbid, Jordan

I walked in a desert.  And I cried: "Ah, God, take me from this place!"
A voice said: "It is no desert."
I cried: "Well, but--The sand, the heat, the vacant horizon."
A voice said: "It is no desert."
        --Stephen Crane, who never came to the desert