GBW NE chapter meeting on JUNE 10

In the most recent New England Chapter newsletter, I listed the date of
the next meeting incorrectly. The meeting will be held on June 10 (not
May 10 as listed in the newsletter). Here is a description of the event:

Annual Meeting of the New England Chapter of the Guild of Book Workers
at the John J. Burns Library, Boston College
Saturday, June 10, 10:00 to 1:00

Featured speaker: James Brockman

Internationally known English binder James Brockman will describe on his
long and varied career in bookbinding. The slide presentation will cover
his training, early work with distinguished binders, and his work in
fine binding, conservation, restoration of early books, collaborations
with printers, and design binding.

James Brockman served a traditional six year finishing apprenticeship at
a trade bindery owned by Blackwells in Oxford. During four years of his
apprenticeship, he also studied with Ivor Robinson. After finishing his
apprenticeship, he worked for five and one half years for Sidney
Cockerell. In 1973, Mr. Brockman left Cockerell's to found the Eddington
Bindery; he served as its director for the next three years. He taught
for two years at the Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts in South
London in the mid seventies. Since 1976 he has operated his own bindery,
doing a full range of conservation, restoration and fine binding. He has
published a number of articles on bookbinding, most notably in the New
Bookbinder.

Our annual meeting will follow Mr. Brockman's presentation. We would
like to hear your ideas for meeting or workshop topics. We will discuss
adding an Exhibitions Chair to the Executive Committee, in hopes of
reviving our rather moribund exhibition schedule. We may also want to
discuss hosting the Standards Seminar sometime in the near future. Bring
your ideas.