Re: Fwd: sidur restoration in New Jersey area

There is something to keep in mind with 'ivory' from this period.

Most of it is collodion (highly flammable; this is what nitrate
film comes from) and it has a tendency, in thin sheets, to curl.

Hand mirrors, cue balls, etc. from this period are also often
made from the same material.

It is not possible to uncurl this material (as a practical matter;
it can be done, but is not always safe to do).

My best advice is to take it to a hand binder who can take the remaining
pages and bind them in a paper-cased binding, using a good, heavy
handmade paper for the cover, and then put it into a slip case or
clamshell box.  Keep the surviving cover in a separate slip case.

Jack

>Got this from New Jersey.
>Maybe one of the list members in or near New Jersey could help.
>His address:
>mailto:edfeldman@worldnet.att.net
>
>edfeldman wrote:
>
>> I have my mother's old sidur that she brought with her from Poland. It must
>> be over 100 years old. It has an ivory cover with one of the ivory covers
>> missing. Some of the pages are gone and the others are brown. I would like
>> to have it restored if possible and give it to my daughter who is being
>> ordained as a rabbi next month as a graduation gift.. I live in northern New
>> Jersey. Do you have any recommendations (including yourself) on who could
>> restore the sidur.
>> Thank you
>> Ed Feldman       edfeldman@worldnet.att.net

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon
USA  97217

(503)735-3942 (voice/fax)

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

"The lyf so short; the craft so long to lerne"
Chaucer, <The Parlement of Foules> 1386 A.D.