Re: Ross Art Paste

I hate to rain on anyone's parade (which is why I declined
to respond - again- to assertions about the viability of CD's)
but a) methyl cellulose is cheap (purchase it from the good
folk who sell wallpaper, not art supplies) b) if you add
less water, it is thick - it does not need sodium bicarbonate
which may make the adhesive too alkaline for some purposes
(some pigments/colors are pH sensitive - too alkaline or too
acid an adhesive can make a colored paper change color)
c) there are many grades of methyl cellulose - contact a
manufacturer (DOW Chemical, for one) and get their technical
data sheets to learn which formula is right for your purpose.

Jack

>I contacted Dick Blick who put me in touch with the
>manufacturer, American Glue Corp. The man who created
>Ross Art Paste, named Joe Ginder, was very helpful. He
>said that the paste is indeed methyl cellulose with a
>small amount of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) added
>to it as a thickener. Runs about a 9-11 ph.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
Portland, Oregon
USA

(503)735-3942 (voice/fax)

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

"The lyf so short; the craft so long to lerne"
Chaucer, <The Parlement of Foules> 1386 A.D.