ancient Venetian binding

Does anyone know ancient Venetian binding method?  The one I saw has strings
stitched on the signature and stitched through a piece of leather which wraps
around as a jacket.  Does it sound familiar to any of you?  It is said to be the
oldest book binding method in the world and that the method was adopted by the
monks for copying books and sharing knowledge with each other.  I'd very much like
to know if there is anything written on it or any pictures available for further
study.

Thank you very much!

Yixi Zhang