Re: ancient Venetian binding

I have an excellent book by J.A. Szirmai called _The Archaeology of
Medieval Bookbinding_, which goes from ancient Coptic practice (which
is what I'd always heard referred to as the oldest codex form) up
through the 17th century. The Coptic practice uses unsupported sewing
to a stiffened outside, either boards or often just several layers of
parchment or paper glued together, but I don't recall any mention of
stitching to wraparound leather without boards of some sort. Szirmai
is available through bn.com for about $150 and has lots of great
pictures and diagrams of ancient bindings; I recently recreated a
10th century Carolingian binding with great success based on the
descriptions from this book.

Hope this helps...

Meg Miller