Re: Apprenticeships

Amy,
that depends on what you consider an apprenticeship. I served a formal
apprenticeship in Germany which is a 3 year process. I finished in two, but
three is the norm. Don't know what your level experience is, but I happen
to have a position here at Syracuse which is open. While it is a full time
(with benefits) position which also pays, I might be willing to accept an
apprentice type situation.

The position has been posted numerous times on the list, and is included
below. While it is a production position working in the conservation lab of
the Library at Syracuse, the person who accepts it would have the
opportunity to work on a wide range of materials, learning sound structure,
techniques, and treatment decision making at the same time.

If you'd like to discuss this further, please contact me off-list. My work
contact information is below.

Good luck, Peter

At 12:38 PM 8/13/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of a good resource for finding
>apprenticeship opportunities in bookbinding/book arts
>outside of the U.S.? Or is there anyone on this list
>who would be willing to accept apprentices?

Library Assistant IV (Conservation Technician)
(Grade 26)
Department of Special Collections
Syracuse University Library

GRANT FUNDED POSITION

DESCRIPTION Responsible for treating books, manuscripts, and other
materials from the Library's Special Collections in a collections-based
production setting.   The Technician performs a wide variety of treatments
on paper, cloth, and leather bindings according to established standards
and procedures.  Other duties include: assisting the Conservator in
planning and organizing unit activities; surveying collections and
monitoring environment; identifying treatment options for materials
selected for conservation; maintaining tools and equipment; assisting in
training and educational initiatives as necessary.  In the absence of the
Preservation and Access Librarian/Conservator, manages the unit and
provides functional supervision to other unit staff including students.

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS An Associate's degree or an equivalent combination of
education and experience is necessary. At least two years of library
experience. Ability to type 30 wpm.  Familiarity with computers, especially
word processing and database applications is necessary.

THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE DEMONSTRATED THE FOLLOWING: Significant
prior experience in bookbinding, book repair, and book conservation
acquired through apprenticeship or working experience in private practice
or library conservation program.  Demonstrated ability to work
knowledgeably and independently on a variety of binding styles and
structures, and in performing a variety of book and paper repair
techniques; demonstrated ability to work on a production basis.  Applicants
selected for interview must present a portfolio of representative
conservation treatments and/or examples of their own work.

SALARY AND BENEFITS Commensurate with education and experience.  Beginning
salary: $7.311-$10.309 (hourly).  The University provides a generous
benefits package, including TIAA/CREF (11% University contribution), health
and dental plans, tuition remission, adoption assistance, insurance, and
other work/life options and benefits.

CONTACT Send letter of application, resume and names of two references to:
Kim Thompson
Syracuse University Library Personnel Office
219 E.S. Bird Library
Syracuse, NY 13244.

Peter D. Verheyen
Special Collections Preservation & Access Librarian / Conservator
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244
(315) 443-9937
<mailto:pdverhey@library.syr.edu>