Re: Box-in-a-book

Sealing the inside cut while lining it (with paper, cloth, etc.) will
hold the outer edges tight enough.

        A plunge router would probably be most effective, with a wooden
template clamped over the open textblock. It is common to leave the first
perhaps 10-40 pages of the text untouched, so that even a casual leafing
through the title page wouldn't reveal the hideaway.

        I have several older (1700's) French books of this sort, which
used the rear marbled flyleaf to line the inside edges of the box. The
rear marbled pastedown shows through the cutout, so one has an attractive
matching hole.

Bob