Re: Books on Bookbinding

I must recommend "Bookbinding & Conservation by Hand," by Laura S. Young.
ISBN 1-884718-10-8 Oak Knoll Press, 1995. It has become my favorite, most
of my old standbys having gone out of print

I haven't seen the Gabrielle Fox book just mentioned by Bill Drendel but it
should be very good also.

The important thing for all who are interested in making artist's books is
to follow Dorothy Africa's advice: Study good books on traditional
bookbinding first to learn proper techniques, materials, methods,
properties of paper, paste, etc., before you begin.

I have seen popular books, full of beautifully photographed, cleverly
designed constructions, that make no mention of the grain of papedr, for
instance.

Betty
Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org
Mendocino, CA