Re: What Do You Call That Stitch? Or Is It a Binding?

I meant to jump in when this thread first started, and I'm surprised that
no-one has since mentioned palm leaf books or blind books (like Venetian
blinds).  That is what the description sounded like to me.  They were made in
Tibet as early as the 8th century and in India and Nepal from the 11th up to
the 18th centuries.  The very long and narrow format imposed by the materials
and the way the way the pages folded up accordian-style allowed these books
to be bound shut with the long binding cords into a tidy and portable bundle
that could be carried around in one's kimono sleeve pocket or in the folds of
your robe.  Is this the same type of binding as was first being discussed?

Hope this makes sense.

Elen