Your Experiences: Hewit Inks On Leather

To all-

Good day, I am needing your help, can you tell me your experince(s) with
dying leathers with Hewit inks --from simple to the painterly overlays?

What leathers do you advise?
How do you finish the leather?
What colors work best, which are more fugitive? (If that is a case).
Can you tool on top of the color?
etc..

Addendum, then there is the departure for natural dyes:

This is brand new to me, so ANY  help will be appreciated.

I once saw a slide show by James Brockman, does one also use Hewit dies
on trasparent vellum underpaintings?

A great read, Under the Tuscan Sun-

Thank you.

Looking forward to this information.