Turkey leather

A small question from someone who is not a book binder... at a lecture on
bookbindings recently, the presenter spoke of books bound in "Turkey
leather." She is British, and it made me wonder whether this is a British or
European usage (rather than saying "Turkish leather"). Or is this a standard
term for a particular type of binding material? Any thoughts on this?

(A brief flight of fancy had me thinking of a special kind of
bird-vellum....)

Betty Steckman