Re: Turkey leather

In the book called Constantinople by Philip Mansel (St Martin's Griffin,
1998), page 114, there is an interesting reference to two products
particular to the export trade from that city. One is the socalled
'shagreen', a kind of dyed shark skin which , being durable, was used in
sword handles and bookbindings, says the author; the second product is
the marbled paper, called 'Turkey paper' which was well liked for
pasting down as end papers or figured on the covers of bindings instead
of full leather.
Through analogy, 'Turkey leather' may be understood to be leather
originating from Turkey or leather treated in a specific way in that
country. I might add that, though I am from Istanbul, I don't remember
books being bound in shark skin these days there. Naturally, the second
product, namely 'ebru' = Turkish marbled paper, is doing quite well,
even thriving.
                    Rezan

--
Rezan Peya Gökçen,