Re: German book museums, etc.

Dear Friends:

A NOTE to say I'm sorry about the attachments. If you want to see my =
book,
"Guess Who Died?", Minsky made a beautiful picture for me on ebay, item
#419757605 -- or search under Baltimore cookbook. I'll make up for any
inconvenience with this useful information:

If you are in to NYC in the late fall, I have a few gallery talks =
coming up
at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. They are: Bookbinding in the =
Metropolitan
Musuem on Tues. Nov. 14 at 11am, Tuesday, Dec. 19 at 3pm and Weds. Dec. =
27
at 11 am(These are one hour talks). I have another shorter 30 min. talk =
 on
English Embroidered bindings on Friday, Nov. 17 at 12:30. These will =
all be
listed in the MMA Calendar. All are welcome, free with MMA admission. =
Hope
to see some of you.

AND-I recently got back from a trip to Europe where I attended the =
SHARP
book history conference and visited many wonderful book-related =
museums.
Here are the addresses, etc. You may want to copy them and put it in =
your
travel file.

Book Museums and Conservation Labs in Germany

Very close to Frankfurt:

Gutenberg Museum
Liebfrauenplatz 5, D-55116
Mainz, Germany
www.gutenberg.de
Library: Claus Maywald-Pitellos
=09
Klingspoor Museum for Modern International Book Art, Typography and
Calligraphy
Herrstrassse 80
D-63012  Offenbach am Main=20
Phone: 0049 (0)69/8065-2954
Museum's Library 069/8065-2066
Dr. Scheffler, Director

Museum F=FCr Angewandte Kunst (Museum of Decorative Art)
Schaumainkai 17
Frankfurt am Main
Phone: 069-21 23-62 62
Mr. Stefan Soltek, Curator of Books (beautiful book arts gallery and
collection)

In Leipzig:

Deutsches Buch- und Schriftmuseum der Deutschen B=FCcherei
Deutscher Plat 1
04104 Leipzig
(0314) 2 27 13 24
which is part of the Deutsche Bibliothek
Mrs. Helma Schafer, Director

Workshops and Museum for Graphic Art
Nonnenstrasse 38
D-o4299 Leipzig
Tel./fax: 49-(0)3 41-4 80 62 60
This place is amazing, it also invites artists to work there with the
printers.

ZFB (Center for Book Conservation)
Mommenstrasse 7
D-04329 Leipzig
www.zfb.com
(ZFB, which is a mass treatment center,is making plans to open near =
Boston.)

Wolfenb=FCttel: visit the Herzog August Bibliothek, www.hab.de. THey =
have a
collection of artists books as well as manuscripts, and much more.

Prague: Monastery Library at Strahov, www.monastery.cz
(A beautiful baroque library)