Re: WOID #IV-34. Adventures in the Skin Trade.

Hello folks,

> Okay, they're all covered with writing: contracts, indentures, that kind
> of thing. You'd have to spend a considerable amount of time scraping it
> off, but at $25.00 and up for a large sheet, it's still a good deal. And
> no, as writing goes there's not much you'd want to hold onto - trust me,
> Ross. Plus, you get to find out what it was like to write on vellum in the
> eighteenth century. Or at least you get to find out what it's like to
> write on eighteenth-century vellum. Or to bind with it.

You don't need to scrape them to get a great binding. I've had
to bind a few books for customers here in Germany using old manuscripts
and the results (with the writing preserved) were splendid.

One warning, if you do want to keep the writing, it is generally quite
sensitive to moisture on the writing surface. Although I didn't have
any problems with moisture from the back, you should be careful not
to get the glue on the surface of your book or rub it too much, because
abrasion will definitely remove the writing while the parchment is wet.

Thought you might find it interesting.
Chris

Buchbinderei Brown
Potsdam Germany