Re: Old Vellum: A retraction--not a chance

Yes, Mommy.

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Blunt, Dorothy wrote:

> Mr. Draper -
>
> I agree with you - one cannot assume, just because it was found at a flea
> market in Europe, or The Antiques Garage off Sixth Ave., that a vellum
> document is worthless for anything but dismantling and reusing as an
> artistic practice piece.
>
> It might actually BE worthless (Mr. Minsky was correct when he pointed out
> that Not Everything Old is Valuable).  However, it is a very bad idea to
> ASSUME that it is worthless because it isn't aesthetically pleasing.  One
> should always check with an expert in the correct field, before determining
> a piece of 18th Century vellum contains no pertinent historical information.
>
> Dr. Werner certainly isn't "chopped liver" when it comes to Art History, but
> I do wonder whether his Ph.D. in Medieval Art History introduced him to the
> interests of Genealogists, Historians or other perusers of 18th and 19th
> Century documents.  His statement "I'll always invest in the future over the
> past" doesn't seem to be coming from a very archival point of view.
>
> Thank you for your passionate and well written "Retraction - Not a Chance!"
>
> Dolly Blunt
> Preservation Officer
> Florida State Archives
> dblunt@mail.dos.state.fl.us

Paul Werner, New York City
www.theorangepress.com
    DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent titles: "The WOID Reader," and "Vellum
Preparation: History and Technique."
     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
listings and resources.