Re: Old Vellum: A retraction--not a chance

Mostly I lurk here, but this response ("Mommy") is not helpful to me; it
sheds no new light on the subject. Let's try to act like professionals.

>Yes, Mommy.
>
>On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Blunt, Dorothy wrote:
>
>> Mr. Draper -
>>
>> I agree with you - one cannot assume, just because it was found at a flea
>> market in Europe, or The Antiques Garage off Sixth Ave., that a vellum
>> document is worthless for anything but dismantling and reusing as an
>> artistic practice piece.
>>
>> It might actually BE worthless (Mr. Minsky was correct when he pointed out
>> that Not Everything Old is Valuable).  However, it is a very bad idea to
>> ASSUME that it is worthless because it isn't aesthetically pleasing.  One
>> should always check with an expert in the correct field, before determining
>> a piece of 18th Century vellum contains no pertinent historical information.
>>
>> Dr. Werner certainly isn't "chopped liver" when it comes to Art History, but
>> I do wonder whether his Ph.D. in Medieval Art History introduced him to the
>> interests of Genealogists, Historians or other perusers of 18th and 19th
>> Century documents.  His statement "I'll always invest in the future over the
>> past" doesn't seem to be coming from a very archival point of view.
>>
>> Thank you for your passionate and well written "Retraction - Not a Chance!"
>>
>> Dolly Blunt
>> Preservation Officer
>> Florida State Archives
>> dblunt@mail.dos.state.fl.us

>>             resources and links go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ at:
>>                       <http://www.philobiblon.com>

>Paul Werner, New York City
>www.theorangepress.com
>    DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES: a project to research and teach the
>techniques of the Medieval scribe and artist.
>     THE ORANGE PRESS: most recent titles: "The WOID Reader," and "Vellum
>Preparation: History and Technique."
>     WOID: a journal of visual language in New York, including reviews,
>listings and resources.

Suzanne J. E. Tourtillott
Editor
Lark Books
50 College Street
Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Tel: (828) 253-0467 x312
Fax: (828) 253-7952
e-mail: suzanne@larkbooks.com

http://www.larkbooks.com/

Littera Scripta Manet. Volat Irrevocabili Verbum.
The written word remains. The spoken word takes wing and cannot be
recalled.