Re: Turkey leather

I just started reading "Bookbinding in America : three essays" and on p. 12
of the 1967 Bowker edition I find the following:

"Morocco, or 'Turkey leather' as it was currently called appears to have
been imported from an early date..." and goes on to quote an invoice from
1683 that John Ive sent "four skins of Blew Turkey Leather" and his remark
that "Turkey Leather is a very scarce commodity at this time here".

Mark W. Arend, Scoutmaster              Outside of a dog a book is
Troop 736                                    Man's best friend.  Inside
Beaver Dam, Wisc.                            of a dog it's too dark
                                             to read.
                                                 --Groucho Marx