Re: Trains-of thought

In a message dated 08/31/2000 7:38:30 AM, africa@LAW.HARVARD.EDU writes:

<< Once the creative
impulse of the artist has produced a book, what is to stop anyone from
pitching it out--or maybe salvaging its material components--with that
old vellum deed? >>

On a related note: recently a student in one of my classes, who had just
purchased one of my books, asked me how I would feel on learning that such a
book had been "added to" by the purchaser. It took me aback, never having
considered that someone would not recognize the "book" they had purchased as
"art" and therefore(?) invoilate! I did say that I didn't think I would like
it! Barbara Harman