Re: book arts criticism?

In a message dated 08/31/2000 4:42:12 PM, Laura Chessin
<lchessin@SATURN.VCU.EDU> writes:
><< Is it possible to break Book Arts down into the two parts -
>1. book (the story) and
2. art (craft), which includes printing, production, choice and use of

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:22:03 EDT Barbara Harman <ArtSurvive@AOL.COM> replied:
>This seems to assume that a book can only be called such if it includes text.
>Many artist books do not. The 'story' is visual.

I'm not sure if the book arts can be broken down into only two parts as Laura
suggests, but to reply to Barbara's question, can't the book part (or text, as I
would call it) be visual rather than just words.  In this case, I am using the
word text in it's broadest meaning - anything that convey's information, story,
feeling, context.

I would then go on to suggest that the second part (what Laura calls art or
craft) should be the medium.  How is the text expressed and conveyed to the
world.  This is the craft side, the part where you get your hands dirty making
the physical object.

In my opinion where the art comes in is how these two parts (text and medium)
converge and create something greater than the two parts.

There is more I would like to add, but I must go make some art, whatever that
may be...

Perhaps someone else can offer their opinion either supporting, adding to, or
disproving what I have layed out.

Eric

 Eric Alstrom       Hanover, NH
 Book: Artist | Binder | Conservator