Re: Book Art Criticism: New Thoughts

About Book ARt Criticism, a few more thoughts in response to the thread. . . .

Almost everything the Native Americans made was for a purpose.
The Quakers made the most stunning furniture and objects, all for
utile reasons.  The Amish women quilters made quilts to be used
yet they put the color field artists to shame.  Where/who/how the
artist is/does should not be a factor.  Is the art "true" to its
materials, its text?   Does it show/tell the artist's truth?  Does the
artist know how to exploit his/her materials; is he/she comfortable
with the materials and tools?  And, if the artist uses text, aside
from the obvious fact that the words should be well written,
cohesive, coherent, etc., does the artist bother to spell the words
right, know grammar and the rules of punctuation?  (I'm an editor
for a small press, and these would be among my criteria.)

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty, ---that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know." -- John Keats.

Keats is right, but there's so much that is needed to make beauty.
. . and truth. . .

Bertha Rogers