Re: book arts criticism?

"Eric C. Alstrom" wrote:

> ...to reply to Barbara's question, can't the book part (or text, as I would call
> it) be visual rather than just words.  ...I am using the word text in it's
> broadest meaning - anything that convey's information, story, feeling, context.
>
> I would then go on to suggest that the second part (what Laura calls art or
> craft) should be the medium.  ...In my opinion where the art comes in is how
> these two parts (text and medium) converge and create something greater than the
> two parts.

I heard someone refer to a book structure with text or art as a chalice containing
wine. It could be a plain chalice or a fancy one, but the point was that it was
made to hold wine. Much of modern ceramic art has been the deconstruction of form,
pots that couldn't hold anything, which is part of the 'message.' It seems that
ours is a similar discussion.
wendy
--
w  e  n  d  y    h  a  l  e    d  a  v  i  s
      worldbridger@earthlink.net