Re: Judging Work

Raymond Starr Said:
>For example, those who make work that will sell (and even allow
>survival) vs. those who make work to be true to their selves
>(or the self as they wish it to be perceived) and starve.

Art Myth #267. The romance of the garret artist.

They are not exclusive sets. It is possible to make a decent living and be
true to oneself. When I decided to be a bookbinder (instead of an economist)
my teacher said "you won't get rich and you won't starve."

One reason Book Art is so wonderful is that it's not full of get-rich-quick
artists, like one sees in Painting. Nobody is in our field for the money.
There aren't enough collectors yet to establish a secondary market. I
believe we're all in it for love.

        Richard
        http://www.minsky.com