Re: drop-spine box

Neither does the "Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books: A Dictionary
of Descriptive Terminology" which is online via Conservation Online at
<http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/don.html>. The closest description I
could find there was for "solander box" which is similar in style. The
definition can be read at <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt3214.html>.

A drop-spine box is the same thing as a clamshell box, although there can
be slight variations. The term refers to the fact that when the box is
opened, the spine lies flat allowing the book to be easily removed.
Clamshell refers to the way the box looks, well sort of like a clam. Both
are the same.

The intent is to protect the book from light, dust, handling, ... In
conservation a box can be made to house a treated item, or an item which
needs to be retained, but also warrants further protection. A box of this
design is preferable to a slipcase because the book is fully enclosed and
there is far less wear as the book is being removed or inserted.

Peter

>Please excuse my ignorance, but the archives don't deal with this totally.
What does "drop-spine" mean in the term, "drop-spine
>box"?
>
>And a drop-spine book is used to hold a book when it's decided that no
further treatment of the book would be beneficial. Is this
>so?
>
>Thanks, and all the best.
>
>Alan Prince

Peter D. Verheyen