Re: Criticism/ Rejection: Some Thoughts

This whole thread has been fun and interesting, thanks to Richard Minsky for
beginning it.

This caught my interest enought to write.....

>Your approach requires great self-confidence and an ability to
>curate your own work.  Do you ever use others to critique work that you
>are thinking of recycling/destroying.

It was the "ability to curate your own work."  I too have limited time to
make etchings and quite a few don't 'make the grade'.  How do I know?

I go totally by feeling, instinct, that voice inside.  I know, that's all.
Sometimes I know right away after one proof.  One time I was all set to
begin printing the edition but I had this aching feeling about the image and
I knew in my soul that it wasn't one that I wanted to print an edition from.
  So I asked my wife what she thought and as I turned the etching proof
around I studied her face.  She's truthfull but I wanted to catch the very
first impression, and I didn't through that plate away as well.

Last winter I created seven new etchings for a book I wrote and I had to
throw four plates away.  Originally I planned eight etchings for the book.

So for me, it comes down to that inner 'grade' that has to be met.

Terrance Young