Re: What is art - ad absurdum

In a message dated 9/3/00 8:52:21 PM, rjmiller1095@JUNO.COM writes:

>Art and beauty, like defining porn is ultimately in the eye of
>the beholder.  I don't see the films in porn palaces as being artistic,
>or particularly "beautiful" but someone who really cares about
>such things might and hey, who am I to judge?  I mean, can't the
>exploitation and usury of sex in the porn industry be likened unto
>the plight in modern publishing where books are sloppily produced,
>poorly edited and printed in droves all in pursuit of the almighty
>dollar? (Sex, like Romance novels and Stephen King "sells")

I think it's a shame that for the most part the only form of expression that
erotic art takes in the USA these days is porn.  I hope that I am just wrong
about this, and that it is just my lack of experience which informs my
opinion.  Please let me know if erotic art is alive and well here, or
anywhere.  I realize this is quite a departure from the current thread.  I
mean no harm -- I'm just curious.

elf
Elen Freelander
Albuquerque, New Mexico