Re: Criticism/ Rejection: Some Thoughts

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Terrance D Young wrote:

> It was the "ability to curate your own work."  I too have limited time to
> make etchings and quite a few don't 'make the grade'.  How do I know?
> So for me, it comes down to that inner 'grade' that has to be met.

COMMENT:  Yes, But....  Have you ever thrown something away that you wish
you had kept?  I have, but I don't keep everything.  Before tossing
anything away I give myself time to consider the work again, and, if need
be, again and yet again.  Similarly, I never think that a print is final
on first or even second glance.  I always wait a day if I have questions
and/or doubts.

With regard to critics blindly following canons of what art is (and is
not), you need to have people critique your work whose views you
respect.  I consider myself blessed to have such individuals available.  I
don't always agree with their views, but I do respect them and my work is
all the better for their feedback.  In any case, the artist has to be
her/his own curator in the end.

As an interesting side-note, psychologist Mihalyi Csikszentmihalyi has
published two books on creativity.  The one most relevant to this
discussion was published a decade or so ago by the Getty Museum.  In that
book he surveyed museum curators about how they judged creativity.  This
approach is not one that I would have thought of, but it does give a good
idea of the value of critics in informing and helping artists.

R *