Re: Focus, Need, and expression

I think that was very well put and has validity (probably, truth be told, for a heck of
a lot of people who "do art").  I identify a lot with what you are saying.  There are
people, though, who do need "to express", or who "express" because it simply happens.
Is this what happens with poets?  Is it different with the book arts?   Is the desire
to express some idea necessary for it to actually be there?

There was a lot of conscious planning and connecting going on in Richard's books.  Was
it necessary?  Probably so for him.  I'd still like to see them for myself, but that's
not likely to happen.  I don't make Artist's Books, but friends who do generally go
through a lot of preliminary thinking.  When I prepare a tapestry cartoon, there is
aways much preliminary work, most of it design.

Carol P
Eugene, OR
========