Re: Rebinding with original mill boards.

Peter,
My thinking on this is that since the boards are C18 (handmade) and
have remained in plane, they are unlikely to turn into potato chips
at this late date.

If a little bell is going off in your head (probably is; otherwise you
might not have written to ask) consider cross-lining (counter-lining)
the boards with a good machine-made paper an hour, or so, before laying
on the leather.

If things go a 'little' wonkey, you have the pastedowns later for
back-up.

But I'm a little uncertain about what you mean by "modern adhesives
and materials"?

Jack

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217
USA

(503)735-3942 (voice/fax)

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

"The lyf so short; the craft so long to lerne"
Chaucer, <The Parlement of Foules> 1386 A.D.