aging gold

I agree with Mr. Krantz. I use a formula of Klucel G ~5% in ethanol, with a
very small amount of tan die added.  I apply it gently with a brush, then
immediately wipe it off.  Adding dye to klucel can also be useful for toning
scuff marks and losses on leather, after consolidating the leather with a
coat of Klucel G first.