Re: cyan, magenta, yellow layers in photoshop?

Siri,
You are in the right program (Quark doesn't let you manipulate images, but
you can put your final images into Quark for adding text and working with
the layout).

Here's one option, and I'm sure there are many others:

IN PHOTOSHOP
1. Open your b/w file. Convert to CMYK (under MODE in the menu bar).
2. Open Channels window pallette, select "new channel" by holding down the
arrow at the right of the pallette menu bar. Name your new channel (ex:
cyan artwork).
3. Now click on the CMYK channel in the Channels window pallette and make
sure it is highlighted (it will highlight all the individual CMYK channels
as well). Now go into your document and hIghlight the area you want to be
on the cyan plate. Copy it. Click on the "cyan artwork" channel in the
Channels window pallette. Click paste.  Now you have a channel that will be
your mask when you create your cyan layer.
4. Click on the Channels pallette and click on the CMYK channel so it is
highlighted again. While holding down the apple button, click on your "cyan
artwork" channelin the Channels window pallette. You should now see
marching ants around the basic area of your cyan artwork. This is
highlighting your "cyan artwork" channel, but it is applying it to your
CMYK channel.
5. Go to your Layers pallette and create a new layer (the marching ants are
still marching). Select 100% cyan as your fill color and select FILL.

You should have a background layer that is your original B/W image, and a
new layer that has the cyan artwork. Repeat the steps for yellow, magenta.
You now have CMYK artwork on separate layers that you can move around.

You can email me off the list if you run into any snags. Good luck.
And if you find any shortcuts, let me know!

Amy Kirkpatrick