Re: cyan, magenta, yellow layers in photoshop?

re: cyan, magenta, yellow layers in PhotoShop?

Hello Siri,

I thinking you want a kind of rubber stamp effect, using your
B/W photo as the rubber stamp and individually stamping cyan,
magenta, yellow and black so that when they overlap you get
new colour mixing and emerging?

If that's the effect the following should work...

In PhotoShop, open your BW image you want as the rubber stamp.
Go to SELECT > SELECT ALL. Next, make the BRUSHES palette
visible, from the WINDOW menu.

In the BRUSHES palette, click on the arrow icon in it's top
right corner to make the extra menus appear - from those that
appear click on DEFINE BRUSH.

This makes a brush from you BW photo that you can paint or
stamp with.

(If you only want a portion of your image as the brush/stamp
use the marquee or lasso selection tools rather than Select
All etc.)

Next, make a new CMYK image. Use the WINDOW menu to make sure
you can see the channels palette. Next, choose the paintbrush
from the toolbox and select the newly defined brush from the
brushes palette.

Next, single click on either the Cyan, Magenta, Yellow or
Black channel in the channels palette - click on the one you
wish to start stamping or painting on.

Check that all the "eye" icons to the left of each channel are
selected as this will show the image in full CMYK colour.
However only have one channel highlighted at a time - this
means you're only painting in that channel.

The idea is that you can quickly click on the magenta channel,
do some stamping, click onto the cyan channel, drop in some
more stamping, move onto the yellow and so on.

As you overlap stamps on different channels you'll get the
colours mixing together.

One thing to note - make sure your new image is big enough for
the size of brush you defined. In other words if you original
BW image is say 3 inches square and you define that as the
brush, the new image you stamp into must be bigger than that.

Otherwise, scale down your BW image first before defining it
as a brush.

Give this a go as it's a lot easier to do in practice than it
reads here!!

Also, if I'd got the wrong idea originally, or if it's not
working as it should let me know and I'll have a re-think!

P.S. Thanks for the question - its got me thinking about
PhotoShop and trying this out has opened up all kinds of new
effects!! Painting / effecting each CMYK channel individually
created some really neat images - thank you!!

Best regards,

a n d y .

andy@ad2001.fsnet.co.uk