odd spine

 Happy Monday, everyone.  I pass along an observation and ask for other
sightings of the same feature, among those of you who work often with
nineteenth century binding styles.  I am currently repairing a second
edition Webster's dictionary for a professor whose office got flooded
over the summer.   Happily the leak was discovered before the book could
mold, though it took me about a week and a half to get it air dried.
The cover was thoroughly soaked and had to be removed.  I salvaged the
bookcloth, the endbands and the spine lining materials, but not the
cardboards.  I will recase the book as a split board because of its
girth and weight.  (I do not use a hollow tube on my splits, by the by,
but incorporate spine piece flaps into the split.)
  In the process of salvaging the linings, I noticed that the outer
lining, a thick piece of leather, was fully adhered to the spine on the
inside face, but the outer face was adhered to the case spine only in
two bands along the boards.  This spine is about 6 1/16 inches (15.5 cm)
wide, and 12inches (29.3 cm) long.  The unadhered band down the middle
of the spine is about 2 5/8" (6.8 cm) wide.
  I have reused all the original spine linings, two of stout cloth, and
this final leather one.  I may not be able to reuse the original cloth
if the split board structure spine is too wide, but I am hoping it will
work out if use slightly thinner boards to give my self a little more
room in the spine for a slightly deeper groove.  Anyway, have others of
you observed this partial spine adhesion trick on larger late nineteenth
/ early 20th century bindings?  This dictionary is from about 1932, I
think.
  Dorothy Africa