Re: Choral Book

These books are reasonably common, and very many of them
have been cut up and sold by the page, so it is nice to
learn of one which has been kept as a book.  I would
suggest that your client pass it on to his children. It
is not terribly rare and probably more people will have
an opportunity to see and handle it in a home than in
a museum or library.

I remember cruising the stacks at a university library
when an old spine caught my eye.  Leather amongst all
that buckram.

It was a Latin dictionary dated in the mid-1600's.  I checked
it out(!) and took it across campus to the rare book library
to show it to the head cataloger there to see if maybe it
should be pulled from the circulating collection.

He checked the card catalog and learned that they had other
copies of similar books, handed it back and told me that
it was worth loosing it if it turned some student on to rare
books, bibliography, bookbinding, etc. (and no, it is not in
my collection).

But common as they are, I would not counsel scraping the
vellum for reuse.  The sheets would look much better folded
into printer's or papermaker's square hats....

Jack

>A client brought me a large "Choral Book" for cleaning.

snip

>Is this one of those, "oh yeah, there were lots of those
>about. I scrape of the vellum and reuse it?"

>Cris Takacs

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217
USA

(503)735-3942 (voice/fax)

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

"The lyf so short; the craft so long to lerne"
Chaucer, <The Parlement of Foules> 1386 A.D.