Re: more book art criticism

Linda Newbown wrote:

>but if (like on a see-saw) you have greater emphasis on=20
>Image and less on Material you can still get the piece to
>balance if you move the Image further from your fulcrum=20
>and the Material closer to it.=20

Yes. And that is part of the balancing act. It's a vector.

> In the Arts and Craft movement emphasis was on materials.
> In books like the Book of Kells maybe emphasis is on image.
> Would books like these not be considered good art

The Wm. Morris tradition includes Burne-Jones and a strong emphasis on
illustration. Additionally, the typography is a huge element in the
composition (image), and the A&C movement was very particular to stress
that. In the USA, Elbert Hubbard incorporated that aesthetic into the
Roycrofters' work. The Book of Kells is very strong in material presence,
what with vellum, gold leaf, paint, and ink. It is not by any means a "flat"
surface.

I have added a few more artists to the "Book Arts in the USA" online
exhibit. Those interested in this discussion might like to read what each of
these artists has to say about how they approach their work. It sheds a lot
of light from many angles. It now includes:

Kathleen Amt
Barton Lidic=E9 Bene=9A
John Eric Broaddus
Betsy Davids
William Drendel
Walter Hamady
Andrew Hoyem
Hedi Kyle
Edna Lazaron
Antonio Martorell
Clarissa T. Sligh

Try starting with Andrew Hoyem (Arion Press) at:
http://centerforbookarts.org/exhibits/USA/hoyem.html

Texte en fran=E7ais:=20
http://centerforbookarts.org/exhibits/USA/hoyem-f.html

Only 40 more to go! ;>)  Sorry it's taking so long. It's hard to find free
time right now.=20

        Richard
        http://www.minsky.com