Re: Book snakes

--=====================_4236315==_.ALT

At 09:28 PM 9/25/00 -0700, Betty Storz wrote:
>I had never heard of a "book snake" until today, but a few years ago I
>filled a 10" long, one-inch tube with BBs, closed the end and had a dandy
>weight to keep my books open.

We went into the book snake business with just this sort of carefree
attitude. But:

Even well-made book snakes are eventually going to wear out, and the
thought of loose BBs is unappealing.

If you put enough BBs into the tube to make it sufficiently heavy, they'll
all run down to one end of the tube or the other, so you'll need to
compartmentalize your tube into several leak-proof compartments. Like the
Titanic. If you pack the the tube tightly, you have a cosh, but not a book
snake: for the latter, you need something flexible, so it will drape over
the open book and restrain it without flat-ironing it.

>The drapery departments in fabric stores sell (or used to) little lead
>balls encased in cotton to slip into the hems of curtains of draperies so
>they would hang better.

We thought of this one, but we couldn't find an American source for
cotton-encased lead balls (or cotton-encased any other sort of metal, for
that matter). Let me know if you do find one.

>  A few rows sewn into a narrow case ought to make a
>nice snake, probably heavier than the same length of ball chain.
>
>Betty
>Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org
>Mendocino, CA

Terry Belanger  :  University Professor  :   University of Virginia
Book Arts Press : 114 Alderman Library : Charlottesville, VA  22903
Tel: 804/924-8851   FAX: 804/924-8824  email: belanger@virginia.edu

--=====================_4236315==_.ALT

until today, but a few years ago I<br>
filled a 10&quot; long, one-inch tube with BBs, closed the end and had a
dandy<br>
We went into the book snake business with just this sort of carefree
attitude. But: <br>
Even well-made book snakes are eventually going to wear out, and the
thought of loose BBs is unappealing. <br>
If you put enough BBs into the tube to make it sufficiently heavy,
they'll all run down to one end of the tube or the other, so you'll need
to compartmentalize your tube into several leak-proof compartments. Like
the <i>Titanic. </i>If you pack the the tube tightly, you have a cosh,
but not a book snake: for the latter, you need something flexible, so it
will drape over the open book and restrain it without flat-ironing
it.&nbsp; <br>
stores sell (or used to) little lead<br>
balls encased in cotton to slip into the hems of curtains of draperies
so<br>
We thought of this one, but we couldn't find an American source for
cotton-encased lead balls (or cotton-encased any other sort of metal, for
that matter). Let me know if you do find one.<br>
narrow case ought to make a<br>
nice snake, probably heavier than the same length of ball chain.<br>
Betty<br>
Betty Storz&nbsp;&nbsp; storz@mcn.org<br>
:&nbsp;&nbsp; University of Virginia</div>
22903</div>
belanger@virginia.edu</div>