Deacidification

To give you some idea of the cost of deacidifying books at Preservation
Technologies: I asked Bob Strauss, customer service rep. at PT, to give me
an estimate on treating four 8 1/2 x 11 books weighing 5 pounds each, bound
with temporary covers. His estimate: $25/ea plus another $25 if more was
needed. That is really quite reasonable compared to what it would cost to
do it yourself.

The Preservation Technologies website is: http//www.ptlp.com
800-416-2665

I was glad to read Jack C. Thompson's post. It has given all of us
something to think about. I have the highest regard for Jack's opinion,
knowing that he is an expert in his field. I have not made up my mind about
which method of deacidifying I'm going to use, if any. Perhaps I'll settle
for just dry cleaning, getting rid of loose dust and dirt, making repairs
and providing acid-free wrappers/boxes to protect the book as much as
possible from ambient pollutants - unless a client insists on some method
of deacidification.

I am worried about the negative effects of the calcium buffer, how it
affects colors, inks, leather, etc. I know that wool and silk fabrics
(animal products as is leather) should not be stored or wrapped in buffered
paper or tissue. Leather, itself, is acid. The best adhesive to use with
leather is wheat paste, also slightly acidic. For use on paper, some
binders add a little calcium carbonate to the paste, but not for use on
leather.

See the tutorial, "Basic Paper Treatments for printed Book Materials" by
Peter Verheyan on the Book_Arts website for more valuable information.
Thanks, Rodney Fry, for call it to my attention.

Betty
Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org
Mendocino, CA