things to see in Atlanta

--------------BB7708F8FCBD3EDC946304EF

Exhibitions that will be on display during the week of the Friends of
Dard Hunter are in Atlanta include these on display in the Robert W.
Woodruff Library at Emory University:

Miniature Books
Currently on display on the second floor of the Woodruff Library is an
exhibition of miniature books. The 125 tiny works of modern miniature
book artists, writers, and publishers are part of The Miniature Book
Society's traveling exhibit.  Several more books from the Special
Collections of the Woodruff Library are also on display.  The exhibit is
designed to familiarize the general public with the world of miniature
books; it features “Distinguished Books,” outstanding examples of
miniature book production and shows the wide range of artistic
expression and craftsmanship found in modern miniatures.

The generally accepted standard definition of a miniature book is that
the height and width not exceed three inches (76 mm).  Miniature books
have been made since the fifteenth century in all different sizes, but
it has been mostly in modern times that the bindings have exhibited
unusual constructions.  Some of the structures seen in the exhibition
include pop-ups, accordion folds, exposed sewings, and a scroll.

Peter Fallon: Poet & Publisher
This exhibition of letters, manuscripts, and photographs is drawn from
the Peter Fallon and his Gallery Press archive documents the career of
the poet and publisher Peter Fallon, author of Winter Work, News and
Weather, Eye to Eye, and most recently, The News of the World. The
exhibition also documents Peter Fallon's contributions as an editor and
publisher including his associations with Ciaran Carson, Brian Friel,
Seamus Heaney, Derek Mahon, Medbh McGuckian, Eiléan Ní Chuilleanáin, and
other writers.

> I'm going to Atlanta, GA for the Dard Hunter paper meeting Oct. 18th
to 21st
> - it's my first visit there:  any recommendations?  Of course, I'll be

> visiting Nexus, ...It seems there's a meeting of Southeastern art
librarians
> that same weekend so visits to bookarts collections aren't possible -
if
> there's someone on the list running a collection that isn't going, I'd
love
> to hear from you).
> - Robbin Ami Silverberg
> Dobbin Mill/ Dobbin Books
> New York City
> DobbinMill@aol.com

--------------BB7708F8FCBD3EDC946304EF

begin:vcard
n:Frellsen;Ann
tel;fax:404-727-0053
tel;work:404-727-0307
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://info.library.emory.edu/preservation
org:Emory University Libraries;Preservation Office
adr:;;Woodruff Library, Rm. 127;Atlanta;GA;30322-2870;
version:2.1
email;internet:libavf@emory.edu
title:Collections Conservator
x-mozilla-cpt:;3