spray fixative?

Dear Book_Arts list,

Since we're on a related subject, does anyone know of a successful
alternative to spray fixative?  I just really hate to use an aerosol.  I've
looked at a blow-on fix at the art supply store, and it's not very even.
Does anyone happen to know of snything that works well.

What has been your experience?
(I'm talking about something to fix charcoal or pastel...)

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
--Suzanne Denker
  Portland, Oregon