Re: low-$ book by hand/e- ?

To answer some of your questions:
        Most online print on demand systems produce books which will last for many
years. They probably will outlast you.
        You can print and bind your own book(s) at relatively low cost, using
simple equipment. Hard covers and soft covers are quite feasible. The level
of quality, from very cheap, very crude to moderately expensive and very
high quality is under your control. The size can range from miniature books
to folio size, but the most practical size is 8.5" x 5.5"  The number of
pages can range from 2 to 500 or more.
        If you want step-by-step directions about how to do this, I would suggest
my 248-page book, _Book-on-Demand Publishing_ . Details on request.
        I am not knowledgeable about methods of restricting the distribution of
e-books.
Rupert N. Evans
r-evans4@staff.uiuc.edu